Generation Beauty 2016

Last January 30, 2016, the annual Ipsy's Generation Beauty was held at LA Live in Los Angeles, CA. It is a two day event where the participants can try and test the newest cosmetic and skin care products in the market. It also gives an opportunity for the guests to meet their favorite YouTube Vloggers.



The event relied mostly on the power of social media.  All the celebrity guests were social media and YouTube stars. Also, most participating brands required all attendees to post photos, tag and hashtag something on Instagram and Twitter before they give samples of their products.


The Brands




The Experience

This year's GenBeauty is definitely bigger - in terms of the number of attendees. It took me a good 35 minutes from my line to get inside the tent. Upon entering, most lines were already closed. I had to go around twice to find an open line. I also noticed that the crowd control this year was not as good as it was last year. Walkways were always blocked.

I also observed that most of the staff and volunteers did not know the flow of the events in the brand experience and the meet and greets. One experience that frustrated me was when I was in line at Tarte. I was told that I need to give a 5 Star rating for their new product- the Tartiest Lip Paint - on Sephora.com before I can get my sample. Now, the lady who was giving us instruction on which product to review was talking about 100 miles per hour. I can barely understand what she was saying. I even pointed out that in order for me to post the 5 Star rating, I also have to post a review. How can I post a review when I have not even tried the product yet? It was ridiculous. I ended up posting a phony review Sephora but upon hitting submit, I got a message saying that it would take 72 hours before my review goes live. Argh. I just gave up and left the line. It was just too much stress to get a free lip product.

I also had a pretty awkward experience at Ofra. When I reached the front of the line, one of the Ofra ladies saw me but completely ignored me. She then turned her back and started chatting with the other Ofra Girls. It was really weird.

There were a few brands that were a pleasure to deal with.  Pixi, as always, was very organized.  The line also moved fast. They were just literally handing out their products. Same with Essence Cosmetics. The staff were nice  and very courteous. Benefit, Derma E and NYX booth and staff were also awesome.



It is inevitable to not be able to receive all the products or perhaps receive second choice items. The lines in the booths were extremely busy and long.  Most brands ran out of major goodies on the first day and just handed out smaller items or less valuable items on the second day. A lot of people were not happy about it.

 Wiped out goodies at NYX


 Create your own palette at NYX

Was It Worth It?

Yes. I purchased a ticket with an early bird rate of $63. Regular ticket rate is $150. The swag bags alone pays for the ticket price. The additional freebies from the participating brands are the added bonus since most of them gave big ticket full sized products.

The Swag
As always, here is meter of an events' awesomeness - the goodies! Ipsy did not fail in this part - there were tons of stuff everywhere! The swag bag is also pretty good.

Day One Swag



Day Two Swag 



The Freebies 






1 comment: